For the first week after my surgery my couch recliner was my home. It was the only place I could sleep without fear of rolling over and causing myself even more pain. Early on if I needed to get up I would slowly scoot off the couch, but within a few days I had enough strength to put the footrest of the recliner down before getting up.
One of my attempts at getting up turned tragic when I realized I’d caught the laptop power supply cable in the recliner “mechanics”. It wasn’t cut completely through so I tried to push it back together but when it started to smell like burnt electronics, I quickly pulled the plug.
I had another power supply (for my backup laptop) so I plugged that in. Ahh, Relief! But that relief was short-lived when, about 30 minutes later, the power supply went dead. I panicked! Oh, the humanity!!! My laptop battery wasn’t going to last until I could order (and GET) a replacement!
My mother offered to let me use her laptop power supply until I could get a replacement but those things are expensive and I didn’t want mom to be without her laptop until then. I decided to try to fix the cut power supply. Nothing to lose right? It was already broken. I went to my office and got the wire strippers, soldering iron, and electrical tape. (I would have preferred heat-shrink but electrical tape will do.) I realized it was going to be more complicated than I thought when I cut the cable on both sides of the pinch/cut and noticed there were three sets of wires inside. Oh well… The fix was on…
First, I stripped about an inch of the wire cover from the outside of the cable and folded the wires back. Second, I stripped about half an inch of the wire cover from the next layer and folded those wires back. Third, I stripped about a quarter of an inch of the wire cover from the center wires. (It looked something like the crude drawing to the left.)
I did the same to the cut end of the other piece then slid the center wires of both sides into each other and put a small bit of soldering flux on them. I let them cool while I cut a piece of electrical tape and wrapped the wires, including the wire covering on both sides. (See pic bottom left)
Next, I straightened the wires from the middle layer and overlapped them with the wires from the other side. Then wrapped it tight with electrical tape, making sure to include the wire covering on both sides. (See pic bottom center)
Last, I straightened the wires from the outside layer and overlapped them with the wires from the other side. Then wrapped it tight with electrical tape, making sure to include the wire covering on both sides. (See pic bottom right)
As an added bit of security, I wrapped more electrical tape over the area, adding about a half inch on both sides. Viola! Time to test. I grabbed the fire extinguisher (just in case), held my breath, and plugged it in. Success! I had POWER!
It’s been three weeks and all is still good. I have the use of my laptop, my momma has hers, and the best part… I didn’t have to shell out the big bucks for a replacement. Just goes to show you that, although something may look complicated and intimidate you, it’s likely not as bad as you think. Simply take it step by step.